Bioprocess Engineering: Basic Concepts, 2nd Edition (Paperback)
by Michael L. Shuler, Fikret Kargi
Book Summary of Bioprocess Engineering: Basic Concepts, 2nd Edition
- * What Is A Bioprocess Engineer?
- PART 2 The Basics Of Biology : An Engineer’s Perspective
- * An Overview Of
- Biological Basics * Enzymes * How Cells Work * Major Metabolic Pathways * How Cells
- Grow * Stoichiometry Of Microbial Growth And Product Formation * How Cellular
- Information Is Altered
- PART 3 Engineering Principles For Bioprocesses
- * Operating Considerations For Bioreactors For Suspension And Immobilized
- Cultures * Selection, Scale-Up,
- Operation, And Control of Bioreactors * Recovery And Purification Of
- PART 4 Applications To Nonconventional Biological Systems
- * Bioprocess
- Considerations In Using Animal Cell Cultures * Bioprocess Considerations In
- Plant Cell Cultures * Utilizing Genetically Engineered Organisms * Medical
- Applications Of Bioprocess Engineering * Mixed Cultures * Epilogue
- Appendix : Traditional Industrial Bioprocesses
This comprehensive, fully updated text introduces the essential concepts of biochemical and bioprocess engineering to students in chemical engineering and those pursuing courses in related disciplines. The authors first review the relevant fundamentals of
biochemistry, microbiology, and molecular biology, introducing key principles that enable bioprocess engineers to achieve consistent control over biological activity. The text then reflects the advances that are transforming the field, ranging from genetic sequencing to new techniques for producing proteins from recombinant DNA. It introduces techniques with broad applications
to the production of pharmaceuticals, biologics, and commodities. It also covers medical applications such as tissue engineering and gene therapy and those used for solving critical environmental problems.
Table of Contents
Part 1: INTRODUCTION—What is a Bioprocess Engineer?
Part 2: THE BASICS OF BIOLOGY:
AN ENGINEER’S PERSPECTIVE—An Overview of Biological Basics. Enzymes. How Cells Work. Major Metabolic Pathways. How Cells Grow. Stoichiometry of Microbial Growth and Product Formation. How Cellular Information is Altered.
Part 3: ENGINEERING PRINCIPLES FOR BIOPROCESSES—Operating Consi- derations for Bioreactors for Suspension and Immobilized Cultures. Selection, Scale-Up, Operation, and Control of Bioreactors. Recovery and Purification of Products.
Part 4: APPLICATIONS TO NON- CONVENTIONAL BIOLOGICAL SYSTEMS—Bioprocess Considerations in using Animal Cell Cultures.
Bioprocess Considerations in using Plant Cell Cultures. Utilizing Genetically Engineered Organisms. Medical Applications of Bioprocess Engineering. Mixed Cultures.
Epilogue. Appendix: Traditional Industrial